[tlug] Network annoyingly not starting on boot

 TLUG,

This has been a minor annoyance for a while now. I thought I'd wait and see if upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 would help, but it hasn't.

I have a computer with Mythbuntu installed. Whenever I boot it, it does not automatically become available on the LAN.

To be more specific, I use NFS to mount directories from the Mythbuntu machine onto directories on my main machine. I also frequently use ssh to open terminals or launch Firefox so that I can do things on the Mythbunu machine from my main computer.

So in almost all circumstances, the Mythbuntu machine is the server, and the main machine is the client.

Here's the annoying part. I've found a workaround. I use a program on the Mythbuntu machine called Wicd as a GUI interface for my network settings. If I go directly to the keyboard on my Mythbuntu machine, open up Wicd, stop and start the network once after booting, then it connects to the network and everything is fine.

As you can imagine, though, this is a tedious and far from ideal step to have to go through every time I boot the Mythbuntu machine.

It leaves me scratching my head as to why it is not automatically booting on startup, though. Since I can just disconnect/reconnect immediately after completing a boot, it would seem that all my exports and fstab settings on all relevant machines are set properly.

Any idea where I should be looking to diagnose this problem?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

By the way, here are some relevant details:

/etc/exports on my Mythbuntu machine:

/home/media 192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async,no_subtree_check)

The entry for connecting to my Mythbuntu machine from my main machine in the main machine's /etc/fstab:

# Mythbuntu
192.168.0.4:/home/media /home/dave/Mythbuntu nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,
intr

Not sure what else might be pertinent, so please let me know if there's other info I can provide.

Any ideas?

--
Dave M G