Re: [tlug] Ubuntu on just 256 MB?

On sam, 2010-09-25 at 13:44 +0200, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Jean-Christian Imbeault
[...]
> > I've just realized that the netbook is a 2004 model and has only 256
> > MB of memory (http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/VGN-T70B/). Since it
> > had Windows XP on it I was assuming that Ubuntu should run without any
> > issues but was I wrong? Are there any setting I should be looking at
> > to make it more responsive?
> >
> > Or does someone recommend a distro other than Ubuntu for such a low
> > spec netbook?
>
> Either you try to get your hand on an older distribution (do not
> forget - XP is already 9 years old) or try to run something like
> Xubuntu.

Xubuntu (so Xfce) is a good choice. I remember installing it with success
a few years ago on my wife's thinkpad (only 128MB RAM) to replace the
previous OS that was there before (Windows 98 !). To start the
installation, all we had at our disposal was a floppy drive. The rest ofthe installation was through the ethernet plug.

Regards,

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Vedrenne