Re: [tlug] Ubuntu on just 256 MB?

JC,

I think I can offer some insight here. I've got an old laptop, not quite as low spec as the one you have, but low enough to make me experiment with more optimized versions of Linux.

I tried Xubuntu, but it didn't help. The reason is because I wanted to run certain software, like OpenOffice for example, which is a memory hog all it's own. In that case, it doesn't matter so much whether you run Gnome or Xcfe or whatever, because while Xcfe might use up a sliver less memory, the savings is blown away depending on what application you run. Xcfe only saves memory and CPU cycles if you go with all their recommended applications, a lot of which were unsatisfactory in my opinion (Abiword would open my .odt files, but do odd things with them). And even still, it's not really that big a difference over Gnome, in my experience. Just looks slightly clunkier.

For me, the whole point of using a more lean window manager was to free up resource so that my desired applications would run a little snappier.

Instead, what I found was that I could run Gnome or Xcfe or whatever, that didn't matter so much. What matters more is that you go through the installed applications make sure to blow away any and all applications that might suck up time. There's a whole raft of things that *buntu distros add in, like printer support, bluetooth, support for modems... things that will load in when you boot. I managed to get a little more pep by squelching anything that was unneccessary for me.

So it would seem like the route to go is to try and find a Linux distro that is designed to be lean in that regard. Not by having a full suite of smaller versions of all the software available on Ubuntu, which is what Xubuntu does, but by having a smaller suite of software.

Unfortunately, in my case, I was unable to try Puppy or Mint Linux because in both cases the live CD wouldn't find my intel based video driver. So the drawback to the minimized distros is possibly that they don't have robust driver and hardware support.

Bottom line, my advice is to find the smallest distro that works on your laptop, and then clean house by uninstalling anything you can do away with.

Hope that helps.

--
Dave M G