Re: [tlug] [OT] A Question About Degrees

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:00:20 +0900
> Kenneth Burling <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

<snip>
> As for the degree, i'd plan from the beginning on a masters degree.
> A bachelor is a nice start, but, at least here in Europe, nobody
> will hire someone with just a US bachelor degree. It's basically
> too much work to get someone from such a far off country,
<snip>
> Other than that, generally i advise you to get internships and such
> things as often and as early as possible during your studies. If possible
> in foreign countries (in Japan and others) as well. Having done the
> right internship or worked on the right project is often more important
> than having the right degree. Beside that you get to know the right
> people as well ;-)

My intention is eventually to get into the Japanese job market.
As far as "getting someone from a country far away," I intend
to be living in Japan at the time, likely on a spouse visa.

As for internships, they will be nice eventually, for now I am
not in a position to do so because of my current employment.
I do agree though that it is good advice. :)

What advise would you give to a person currently doing military
service to improve their chances?  I am doing my classes in my
off duty time, and mostly by distance learning.