Re: [tlug] [OT] A Question About Degrees

On 07/02/2010 11:49 PM, Kenneth Burling wrote:
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Attila Kinali<attila@example.com>  wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:00:20 +0900
Kenneth Burling<burlingk@example.com>  wrote:

<snip>
As for the degree, i'd plan from the beginning on a masters degree.
A bachelor is a nice start, but, at least here in Europe, nobody
will hire someone with just a US bachelor degree. It's basically
too much work to get someone from such a far off country,
<snip>

My intention is eventually to get into the Japanese job market.
As far as "getting someone from a country far away," I intend
to be living in Japan at the time, likely on a spouse visa.

What advise would you give to a person currently doing military
service to improve their chances?  I am doing my classes in my
off duty time, and mostly by distance learning.

If computer work is like other jobs in the real world in Japan, being from the US is not like being from West Snudzhakistan. Being ex-military works well with US employers in Japan, especially if you had a computer MOS. Financial houses prefer Brits and Aussies for reasons known only to them (a BIG part of it is rumored to be that you get an IRS auditor in the package if you hire an American).

Keep an eye on:

http://www.usajobs.gov/
https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/index.asp
https://cpolst.belvoir.army.mil/public/resumebuilder/builder/

as they will give you many opportunities to transition to a civilian job on base or at the US Embassy. If you are planning to spawn, you qualify for free housing, paid DODS schooling, and access to cheap, good, food. If you try to get on board later, you only get local hire status, which means cheap food but no schooling or housing.

Anything USGOV wants works well in the civilian market as USGOV are late adopters of standards ... they wait until everyone else tries it and breaks it before they specify it.

--
CL