[tlug] [Becoming OT] Re: problem with MBR

On 04/06/2010 14:18, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Jon Povey writes:
  >  An old, old trick, may not help so much these days, but:
  >
  >  - boot from a DOS floppy (!)
  >  ->  fdisk /mbr

I don't think you want to do that with a post-XP Windows system,
though.  You need to keep a copy of the Windows MBR.

I don't know about post-XP.. but on XP, 2K, NT4 it is a useful trick to fix Windows when it gets confused about drive letters. I've done unfortunate things before like booting with a broken machine's system disk plugged in (to rescue it) and having Windows decide to permanently rename MY system disk to something wacky like F:, persisting after the other drive was removed, and causing much breakage.

fdisk /mbr cured it. I assume it wiped out a GUID written to the MBR to identify the drive.. or somesuch.

--
Jon