Re: [tlug] Changing a file server from XP to Ubuntu

Do you think I can get Linux to take over the position of the file
server and set up a shared drive that all the Windows machines will see
without knowing that it isn't the same shared drive it's always been?

If anyone has any tips on how I could do this, I'd really appreciate it.

How are they logging in now? Are they all using their own login name or is it just a pw protected share?

In theory, since you are not doing domain logins, the clients shouldn't know the different if you name the samba bios name the same thing as the XP workstation was. And of course, the share name has to be the same. The shortcuts or mapped drives or whatever they are using now should just work as they were. I have done something very similar to this recently so I know it works.

Cheers,
Sach