Re: [tlug] Changing a file server from XP to Ubuntu

Sorry everyone - was going to send Sach a mail and accidently clicked send.

On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 00:49 +0900, Sach Jobb wrote:

    create mask = 0774

Pet peeve here, but why do so many people insist on setting the executable bit on shared files from samba clients? I find it odd when I `ls -l` and see a list of unix executable excel spreadsheets.

If, in the rare event, that you happen to have a user who users both samba and shell access to the server, chances are that they are going to be savvy enough to know how to change the permissions on that extremely rare file which they wish to execute on the server.

0664, or better 0660 with proper group permissions should make a good default create mask for shared directories.

cheers,
sach