Re: [tlug] Acer Aspire One Power Supply Problem: "power cord does not fit" (was power adapters in Japan (and US))

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 09:14:56AM -0500, jep200404 wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> > She is saying that the power cord she has is not fitting the computer.
>
> Here are some possibilities:
>
> 1. She brought the wrong power supply (or cord).
>    (The correct one is still with you in NY.)

That was the angry accusation (from her.)  :)  False.

> 3. The power jack on the laptop is damaged.
>    The jack is much frailer than the plug.
>    Often the jack is on the back side of the laptop.
>    When one lifts the front of the laptop,
>    often the weight of the laptop is concentrated on the
>    barrel plug, which puts serious stress on the jack.
>    A friend at FreeGeek says that about half of the laptops
>    they get don't work because the jack is damaged.
>    $DEFAULT_SEARCH_ENGINE confirms how common this is.
>    http://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+power+jack+repair

Most likely and if so, I think it's going to come down to me Fed-exing
her my laptop after setting it up for her.  On the other hand, that give
me an excuse to waste money which I don't have on YAN.  (Yet another
netbook).

> 4. She's trying to plug into the wrong jack.

>From what she described, it is the right jack.
It's something I won't know for sure unless she goes to a friend's house
who has skype with video.  :)

That jack was actually never that good--one has to juggle the cord to
make sure it's charging, so I suspect you're on the money as usual.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6