Re: [tlug] Mailing list web archives..... Is this leagal ?

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Tapas Chaturvedi
<tapas.chaturvedi@example.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Today I was trying to find the solution for one of the issue. While
> googling I found the number of web sites maintaining same Mailing list
> web archives. My question is "Is this legal to maintain web archive of
> different mailing list/group which you are not owning ?" If its not, is
> there any way to do it legally  ?
> I am planning to start one archive site for all the famous gnu/Linux
> mailing lists.

I am not a lawyer, but a safe bet would be to contact the admins of
each mailing list you
are interested in, and get an answer from them.  Keep the email with
their answer on file
somewhere.  Some people would say that if it is public it is ok, but
there is still the fact that
privacy and copyright laws are involved.  Privacy laws may or may not
be an issue, but you
still want to be careful about copyright issues.