Re: [tlug] Netbooks (emobile)

>> In particular when bought with a 2-year emobile contract the netbook
>> hardware is very cheap [3], and the monthly fee is a reasonable 3-6000
>> yen [4].
>
> I'd be wary signing up to emobile just for the "cheap" hardware;
> apparently the maximum limit is easily maxed out [1] and that works
> out more expensive than a normal emobile flatrate (I pay about
> 5,000 yen a month, on a yearly contract through my ISP). Those
> hardware subsidies have to be recouped somehow...

The emobile basic rates are:
 Superlight: 1000 to 4980
      Value: 2980 to 5980
       Giga: 3980 to 5980
       Data: 4980

Superlight rises rapidly after 3MB/month so that a mere 14MB/month costs
4980, which is what the poster in [1] discovered. I *think* minimum
contract is 6 months; you get a discount committing to 1 year.

The cheap-hardware-package adds 1000 yen/month to both top and bottom
prices, and requires a 2 year contract.
The exception is the superlight becomes: 2400 to 6380 yen (obviously
1000 yen/month isn't enough to get their money back).

If I add 24,000 to the hardware cost, and use the basic rates to
evaluate the cost of always-on internet when I'm out, then they become
two separate decisions. The emobile account is just a USB thingie that
can be used with any (?) device.

The sales lady in Bic showed me the connection. She seemed to be having
trouble getting a connection at first, including having to unplug it
from one USB port and try it in a different USB port. A bit of a
concern. Browsing seemed reasonably quick once connected.

When I asked about the connection staying up when on the train she said
it should be okay, except on tunnels and the underground. (According to
the brochure emobile seems to have the Tokyo underground stations
themselves well-covered though.)

Darren

> [1] http://sevententotokyo.com/2009/11/goin-geeky-in-tokyo-satisfaction-and-regret/

Specializing in intelligent search (in multiple languages), discovery
of context, aiding communication, and basically helping people find
and make good use of their data.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (Multilingual open source semantic network)