Re: [tlug] Netbooks

Thanks for all the replies! For the ebook reader need, waiting a few
months, or even a year, is probably sensible.

I visited BicCamera yesterday; as there seems to be some interest here
I'll report what I found. All models I considered come with either WinXP
or Win7 and have 10.1" screens, which is 1024x600 (except for the Sony
as noted below). Weight ranged from 1.07kg (the Acer) to 1.27kg (Asus).
All have 1G of memory. They all seemed to have the same CPU and CPU speed.

The 100 yen models: (or bought outside the package: 34,800 or 39,800)
 Acer Aspire-one: 3.5rs, 160G, Win XP
 Lenovo: 6hrs, 250G, Win 7
 Asus 1005HA: 10hrs, 160G, Win XP

Then: (-10% or -16% bic points)
 Dell (2,800/42,800 yen): 3hrs, 160G, Win 7
 Toshiba (4,800/44,800 yen): 4hrs, 250G, Win 7
 Sony VPC W119XJ (8,200/?? yen): 3.5hrs, 160G, Win XP
    (1366x768)

The 1024x600 was fine for reading an A4 PDF (i.e. no need for left/right
scrolling, though of course there will be up/down scrolling).

The sales lady confidently informed me Linux is not really used in
Japan, except in small handhelds. So, basically, no chance of linux
pre-installed.

Generally I had a good impression of the hardware. A bit thinner and a
bit lighter would be nice but always carrying it around with me is just
about practical. (I hadn't thought about charger though.) The disks are
bigger than I realized, so dual-boot linux is practical.

I'll comment on the emobile packages in another reply, but basically the
"hidden" cost of the package is 1000 yen/month for 2 years, so 24,000 yen.

Darren

Specializing in intelligent search (in multiple languages), discovery
of context, aiding communication, and basically helping people find
and make good use of their data.

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (Multilingual open source semantic network)