Re: [tlug] apparent hardware problem(s) -- but where?

On 2009-11-17 14:09 +0900 (Tue), Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 13:37, BALUTA Chris <baluta@example.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> >  - memtest86 has been run throughout this process. On 2 or 3 occasions,
> > there were no errors. On the others, there were a plethora of errors.
>
> I think it is obvious that you have a  faulty memory....

Not at all. A faulty CPU or motherboard can also cause memtest to fail.

This is an M2400? If it's anything like the M4400, there are diagnostics
available from the BIOS that will do more than check just the memory.
Those might help.

If swapping out existing modules doesn't help, I have a couple of spare
512 MB PC2-5300 laptop memory modules that I'd be willing to part with
for a reasonable price. These are from a ThinkPad X61, but I do believe
that your Dell uses the same ones.

If it turns out that it's the motherboard or CPU, it's probably not
worth trying to debug this on a laptop; just get in touch with Dell. In
my experience, they'll be happy to send you a new motherboard and CPU
for you to do your own field replacement, and take the old ones back.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com