Re: [tlug] Permissions on local Apache web testing environment

Kalin,

Thanks for responding.
> 1. What are you doing and why?

I don't know why I do half the things I do, but here's what I am trying
to do:

Before my computer hardware crash, I had a simple set of HTML files that
referenced some external JavaScript files. Everything worked like a charm.

> 2. What is happening?

After restoring all my files, the JavaScript is no longer working. I
know the browser is not refusing JavaScript because I can see JavaScript
in action on other pages.

Because I was previously seeing permissions errors on my PHP scripts, I
was tempted to think that permissions were a problem with the JavaScript
files. But I've verified that all files have the same permissions and
owners as before the crash.

Right now the site is behaving as if it can't find or can't run the
JavaScript.

> 3. What (you think) should have happened?

I think the files should just be working the same way they worked before
I restored from back up. These are the same files in the same place as
when it worked, so I just can't figure out what would be different.

Right now, so far as I can tell, it's only the JavaScript files that are
not loading or executing. But I don't know if that's to with the fact
that they are JavaScript, or the result of a more general error with
files. I tend to suspect the latter because really all that has changed
is that the files were copied to an external drive, then copied back again.

Something is now different in how my computer handles the files, but I
don't know what. If you have any suggestions on how to probe the issue,
I'd be very keen to hear it.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

--
Dave M G