Re: [tlug] linux@example.com How many widely can we do that?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 03:03:58PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:43:13 +0200
> Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
>
> > - linux is better known to me.  Over the linux-years i have build up
> > a nicely customized workenvironment (windowmanager, scripts,
> > editors..) - windows is just to a fraction of that configurable.
> > It would practically hurt to do my work with it.  Maybe macosx is
> > a bit more configurable.
>
> That's because you invested more time in learning linux than
> you did in learning windows. Windows is, contrary to common
> believe, as flexible and as complicated as a unix system, it's
> just that most people are not looking for that kind of knowledge
> and rather like to spend their time being dazzled by the bright
> and shiny GUI windows provides.

I think there is more about that, to say it with a quote:

"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer
your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say 'Linux
sucks' and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say 'Windows
sucks' and start banging your head against the wall."
       -- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

Pretending both OSs are equally good equipped for a given work-
load (and i think for mine linux is better equipped) one still
has a better chance with an OpenSourced OS to shed out problems.

> If you don't believe me, find a guy who really knows windows.
> Yes, they are a rare species, but they can be found.

Quite possible, havent met one so far.  Sometimes running into
some people on Usenet that customized Macosx for their workloads
equally to mine.

Thanks for all you people sharing, guess some of us now see
more people facing problems to use the right tools for the jobs
they get payed for.

Christian