Re: [tlug] linux@example.com How many widely can we do that?

> It would be an interesting story to hear about what you're developing,
> how you can manage to work on both platforms (do you actually run and
> test your system on both?), and so on. If you really can use any editor,
> have all the VCS clients you need on both, etc. etc., that would be of
> interest in and of itself. And what can't you do on both platforms that
> must be done on one or the other?

We're developing our software [1] (large pieces of C++, some Haskell, scripts in
various languages) on various Linux distributions and Mac OS and building and
testing it on Linux, Mac OS, Cygwin, and Windows (with a continuous build
system on several virtual and actual machines running different OSs). Our code
is versioned in Git and we're using CMake as the build system for the C++ part
which generates Makefiles on the Unices and Visual Studio project files on
Windows.

It took some time to work out the kinks and make the C++ code work on Windows as
well (which was actually only some timing stuff), but now it all basically
works. There're some minor things which aren't supported in Windows, but that's
mostly because nobody of the developers uses Windows and has an incentive to fix
it. And Git for Windows comes with some Mingw utilities so we can run shell
scripts.

Admittedly there's no GUI stuff involved in our project, which makes supporting
all these platforms much easier.

Lars

[1] http://minion.sourceforge.net