Re: [tlug] NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT driver on opensuse

Lewske Wada <ryu@example.com> wrote:

> > running.) Nvidia does have some rpm packages, but does not say which
> > ones are for which cards, as far as I can tell.
>
> I believe you have to go to their 'Advanced Search' and there you need
> to find a nvidia driver that fits your environment and has the latest
> archive.
>
> June 01, 2009 version is at least stable enough, as far as I can tell.
> Remember you should run the shell script on bare console with root
> access and CC environment variable enabled.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ryu. I am a neophyte with Linux and am not real sure here, but IIUC, running the shell script on bare console means booting at runlevel=3, i.e. without x windows, and manually installing? I have downloaded a package for that from nvidia, but can't get my machine to boot at runlevel 3. I think I'll try to find a live disk somewhere and try again, but with the setup I have here, when I boot at runlevel 3, it stops halfway through the boot process. I was kinda hoping to find an rpm package and letting Yast install it, but so far, no such luck.

Thanks for the help.
--Ralph

Keep your friends updated— even when you’re not signed in.