Re: [tlug] Open-source repository question

Curt Sampson wrote:
John Fremlin writes:

> Even with smaller scale projects (four or five people) it's incredibly > useful to be able to branch quickly to make changes that benefit one > feature but break a lot of others.

There are some experiments in your codebase you can do all by yourself,
of course. But for a lot of the significant ones, I find I'm not sure
whether I've actually made some better sense of the world (or discovered
something about the world) until I involve a few other people for a few
days, if not a few weeks. My own private branch won't tell me that. Only
sharing (usually painfully, if it's any sort of signficant discovery)
will do so. And the cost of going back, not by a VCS revert command but
by painfully undoing what you've done, is just part of the risk.

This sounds like you are making a good argument for why branches are useful. You create a branch in the VCS for this, other people check it out and you work on it together for a while; if you don't like it, you go back go trunk. If you do like it, you merge it back in. You can involve other people without great pain.

--
Jon Povey
jon@example.com