Re: [tlug] Open-source repository question

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Edward Middleton writes:
>  > If you are hoping to pull together changes from some of the
>  > variants or make it easier for others to do so then git is probably
>  > the best tool
>
> Been there, done that, and no, git is not clearly the best tool for
> that.

That wasn't what I said, and it wasn't my point.  Git is better then
darcs because more people know git then darcs.  Git also has a very
actively development community and is important to a number of large
projects, like the Linux kernel, so it isn't going to disappear any time
soon.  Git even has a few defectors among the Haskell crowd.  If you are
interested in selling a better DVCS then use darcs, if you are
interested in distributed development use Git because if you use darcs
you will spend your time selling darcs.

>  > My general feeling about sourceforge et. al. is that they are places
>  > where projects go to die.
>
> By comparison to github, that's not surprising IMO.  (1) SourceForge
> has the longest history, but never deletes a project AFAIK.  Of course
> it accumulates dead ones.  (2) github is going to attract developers
> whose projects are still at the frenetic stage of development.  Of
> course it's going to look lively.

I think it has more to do with good tools and supporting a more
effective development model.

Edward