Re: [tlug] Open-source repository question

Jim Breen wrote:
> Some of you may remember my old "xjdic" dictionary client
> which I first released in 1992. The last public release was 2.4
> in 2003. I still use it, as do quite a few other die-hards, and
> there is a debian package which seems to have updates of its own.
> In fact my local version has had changes as well, and there is
> an OS/2 port.
>
> I'd like to pull together some of the variants and place the whole thing
> on a public repository such as SourceForge. I have never used that
> sort of system, so I'd like some advice:
>
> - what is a good one to use?
> - what are the merits/demerits of the possibilities?
> - how best to load the stuff up there?
> - should I set it up for configure/make/make install? (I don't
> at present) If so, what's involved?

If you have a number of people working on separate versions of xjdic,
git or another distributed version control system DVCS might work better
for you then a centrallized VCS like subversion[1].  A lot of people
using git host on github[2].    Github offers a nice web interface to a
public git repository plus a number of features to track forked version
of the project.  I have only used github to download source but am
planning on using it for a future project.

Cheers,

Edward

1. git or subversion seem to be the main choices.
2. http://github.com/