Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

>> After the instructor left one mother commented I was clever (actually
>> about an unrelated matter where I did something that I was not
>> supposed to do but that the situation called for).  I sort of took it
>> as feedback that I handled the situation fine.
>
> I'd actually take that the same way I'd interpret a Japanese person
> saying "Nihongo ga jouzu desu ne" after I say "konnichiha".

Well, perhaps from my description you are right.  Still, when you are
a parent of a difficult child and telling a  "behavioral expert" that
they are not doing things the best way, it's not superficial at all.

The organization involved has a significant understanding of the
social development of children like mine, and as such our family needs
them.  Still, they expect us to as they say.  In other more important
areas too, what they say is not what I am certain is in the best
interests of my child.

I can't just argue with them but am merely trying to show I :

1) am paying attention
2) want what's best for my child
3) expect them to do what is best

It's not an easy situation even when I feel right over a seemingly
simple thing.   Their exception is my cooperation but unfortunately
... I do need what's best for my child irregardless of their
expectations.  Sorry.  We need to work together on this and that is
what the other parents seemed to indicate.  That I was doing that.