Re: [tlug] Kubuntu 8.04->8.10 Upgrade: Two for Two

CL writes:

 > > I wonder if that could be related to the phenomenon you describe.
 > > OTOH, if you do
 > >
 > >     mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt
 > >
 > > that should *not* be a unionfs, and it *should* work (in the sense of
 > > actually writing to the HDD).  Are you telling me that it didn't?
 >
 > Well, as seen above, the problem was not what I thought it was but
 > another problem that looked the same.  However, I _am_ telling you that
 > the exact command you suggest was tried and did not save to HDD.

How bizarre!  I may have to get a copy of Ubuntu running and see this
for myself.

 > > And of course there was the WinNT 3.2beta to 3.2final upgrade that
 > > wiped my hard drive clean....
 >
 > You newbie!  I'll bet you never went through the MS-DOS 3.0 -> 3.1 ->
 > 3.3 -> 3.6 upgrade fiasco

Nope, I was a very poor assistant professor still running DOS
2.something on a Zenith clamshell at home (not that I really cared, my
first love was an Osborne 1 but Rogue ran on the Zenith), and using a
time-shared Prime mini at the office.  My next DOS computer ran 4.0,
QEMM, and DESQview (very soon after that DESQview/X, which I loved).

Funny story about the Prime, they had some fancy OEM terminal for the
console, which the chairman of the computer committee appropriated for
his office (over the objections of The Computer Guy, who had a
premonition).  The rest of us had DEC VT220s.  So he sends me this
message "beware of the wizard!" with this huge ASCII art of a wizard's
pointed cap with streaks of lightning in reverse video and flashing
stars and stuff (full professors have way too much time on their
hands, I think).  I ran it through tac and sent it back with the
caption "To the nether regions, O Evildoer!" or something like that.
About 20 minutes later, the system crashed.  Apparently the DEC
control sequences gave the Prime console indigestion....  An
unreliable source (the teed off Computer Guy) later claimed that the
terminal was fried, too, but I saw it in the computer room scrolling
log messages a couple days later so maybe that was slander. :-)