Re: [tlug] Kubuntu 8.04->8.10 Upgrade: Two for Two

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
CL writes:
> Regular readers may recall my adventures trying to upgrade a basic > Kubuntu v.8.04 (Horny Hamster) installation on my ThinkPad to v.8.10 > (Irritating Idiot).

Heh. I'm discovering a drop of sympathy for our other K?Ubuntu victim.

Some times I have to ask myself if it's interesting when everything just works or does it take continual crises to keep it interesting. Back in the days when we kept out programs on 80-column cards and pushed trays of them around on carts seem just so ... boring and exacting ... by comparison with the current "push the button and see what fires break out" mentality.

Oh for the days when you could squeeze the computing power of an Intel 8086 into a three story ferroconcrete building and could get a good reputation for being able to change the set of eight matched four foot high valves (vacuum tubes) in under three hours ... or hot swapping the two eight-foot tubes of a Univac 10 without powering down ... (not)

Hm. Check the mtab (or just output of 'mount'). ISTR something about
"unionfs" from David Bernat's posts.

It turns out that the inability to see audio disks is an undocumented feature in the KDE4 versions of Amarok and Dolphin. The KDE3 version of Amarok (v.1.4.10) -- which is part of the installed base package in 8.10 -- will play audio CDs if you select "Play Audio CD" in the "Engage" menu, and it will allow you to eject with the button on the front of the player. Any menu stuff can be handled once the playlist is showing in Amarok, but not before.

Apparently, the beta KDE4 version (V.2-something) kills your mouse and locks your CD in until you reboot and can liberate it from the tray during the boot process. It would appear that the developers knew of this when they let the beta out into public but said nothing and have no published plan in the schedule to repair the problem. Silly me, I would have thought that was one of the basic things you fix before you send it out for testing ... but, they suggest that you install the KDE4 version of Kaffein and play your CDs _that_ way if you really want music. Am I the only one wondering how Amarok will ever get tested if everyone keeps playing their CDs with Kaffein?

I wonder if that could be related to the phenomenon you describe.
OTOH, if you do

    mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt

that should *not* be a unionfs, and it *should* work (in the sense of
actually writing to the HDD).  Are you telling me that it didn't?

Well, as seen above, the problem was not what I thought it was but another problem that looked the same. However, I _am_ telling you that the exact command you suggest was tried and did not save to HDD.

And of course there was the WinNT 3.2beta to 3.2final upgrade that
wiped my hard drive clean....

You newbie! I'll bet you never went through the MS-DOS 3.0 -> 3.1 -> 3.3 -> 3.6 upgrade fiasco or worked in an office using DR-DOS alongside boxes running MS-DOS and trying to exchange output between machines in the midst of the MS fake error message campaigns ...

--
CL