Re: [tlug] Ubtuntu 8.04 -> 8.10 Upgrade Pain

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 05:38:23PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Scott Robbins writes:
>  > On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 05:59:43AM +0900, Ian Barwick wrote:
>

> The real culture shock for me is that the defaults don't suck.
> (Dynamic detection does, though, especially of Japanese keyboards.)

Out of my machines, in fairness, it's only the NVidia one that gives
problems.  Actually, this seems to be more an issue with the latest
generic nv drivers than anything else.  They used to work--they work in
CentOS' version of xorg.

> Hey, X.org has its problems, but this one isn't their fault.  They'd
> like to believe you don't need one, but they don't believe that (and
> with good reason, older hardware doesn't support the necessary
> queries).  The "it's *your* computer, that's why *you* have no need-
> to-know" crowd are responsible for this one.

In Fedora, the canonical (pun intended) method is to install
system-config-display, which can be run from console and will generate
an xorg file.  None of the "You are too stupid to be root," distros seem
to even have xorgconfig anymore.

>  > As with many theoretical improvements in Linux (Fedora and
>  > Ubuntu--working together to keep Windows number one)--it turns out
>  > to be a regression for a large minority.
>
> I got snagged on Gentoo and maybe Mac OS X, too, though.  At least on
> Gentoo they leave in the comments that tell you how to disable HAL (is
> anybody else here old enough to get chills when software named HAL
> gets between you and the hardware?  At least it's not Loki 9073!) and

Nagios still has an error message in its web interface, "I can't let you
do that Dave."   :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6