Re: [tlug] Gigabit Internet connection

Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

> [...]  I use 1Gb Ethernet on the home network.  It didn't give
> a me significant performance boost until I started using Jumbo frames
> 9000k, which as far as I can see, are still unusable on the internet.

nitpick: it is 9000 _bytes_ not 9000k.  And sadly support for Jumbo
frames seems to be on the decline.  Most of the new motherboards have
Gigabit ethernet support but nearly all of them uses LOM chips
that lacks Jumbo frames support.  Even Intel stripped it out.

Supposedly with the fast CPUs it is not needed...  I'm a bit doubtful
but haven't gotten around to testing it.

--
Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com>