Re: [tlug] Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu

Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Until now, i'm quite unsuccessfull in my search, which lead me
>> to the thought, that it should be possible to gather enough
>> people to start a new distro, with exactly the above (and Curt's)
>> requirements. But then, i'm working on somany projects already,
>> that i doubt that i could start anything as big as this...
>>

> Ubuntu and Debian use .deb as their packages and my suggestion are:
>
> 1. Build things *we need* from source code is always an option.
> 2. Rebuild the .deb packages with the options we need.

These approaches works as long as you don't need to make changes that
effect all packages.

> Making your own distribution is not so hard at start up you won't have time
> to maintain it. Kondara, Momonga are good examples: They never get *enough*
> due to the lack of (package) maintainers.

Thats why meta-distributions like Gentoo work so well.  I have 188
ebuilds for things that are either not supported or not compiled and
installed the way I want them.  This gives me the advantage of not
having to maintain the things I don't care about while not having to
abandon package management for the things I need to support.

Edward