Re: [tlug] Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu

Moin,

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:13:35 +0900
Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu has a fair number of annoyances for me, as folks are probably
> gathering from my posts here. It's finally got enough stuff wrong that
> can't be fixed as easily as installing a new window manager package that
> I'm looking for a new distribution. I'd like to solicit suggustions.
>
> Here are my criteria, in approximate order of importance.

You seem to have very specific and out of ordinary requirements
for your distro, and to some extend they are contradicting.
You're looking for a server distro that is optimized for desktop
use.. I very much doubt that such thing exists.

But then again, i'm looking for the same thing myself.
As a long time Debian user, i've got quite fed up with
the broken bureaucratic system Debian has (Things it should
prevent are happening anyways, and if you try to do something
you get stamped down because you're violating some obscure
interpretation of the policy) and Debian getting more bloat
every day.

Up until know, i couldnt find any distribution, that is
1) Takes little time for daily administration (which is only
weakly correlated to being simple)
2) Has a non-bloat policy
3) Has no excessive bureaucracy
4) Leaves the user the choice whether he wants more features
   (aka bloat) or not.
4) Whos package maintainers do not meddle with things they do not understand
   (ssh - key generation bug, anyone?)

Until now, i'm quite unsuccessfull in my search, which lead me
to the thought, that it should be possible to gather enough
people to start a new distro, with exactly the above (and Curt's)
requirements. But then, i'm working on somany projects already,
that i doubt that i could start anything as big as this...

			Attila Kinali

--
If you want to walk fast, walk alone.
If you want to walk far, walk together.