[tlug] Weird Mouse Failure

TLUG,

Got a weird issue here that my friend Google is not helping me with.

Earlier tonight, I was doing the simple action of resizing a window, when suddenly Gnome crashed. That is, the screen suddenly went black for a few seconds, and then I was given the log in screen.

When I logged back in, my mouse was acting weird. I first noticed because some of the features in Compiz were behaving odd, but they're difficult to describe, so I won't get into it.

The one easy to describe thing is that the mouse wheel no longer scrolls up in a window. Any window with a scroll bar, in any program. Like FireFox for example. I can scroll down, but not up.

I guess it could be a hardware failure, but my spider sense tells me that a broken mouse is much more likely to die more completely than this. Scrolling down but not up just seems so small and finicky.

But I'm totally stuck on how to figure this out. So far as I can tell, all settings are unchanged.

Short of buying a new mouse and comparing, any idea on what I can do to trouble shoot this annoyance?

Any guesses as to what might have even gone so wrong with a window resizing in the first place?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G