Re: [tlug] MySQL behaving strangely

On 2008-09-26 10:41 +0900 (Fri), Dave M G wrote:

> I figured I would edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf so that it said:
> socket        = /tmp/mysql.sock
>
> ... in all the relevant places. That should eliminate the need for setting
> up a symlink every time, right?
>
> Turns out, not so. When the /etc/mysql/my.cnf is edited to use
> /tmp/mysql.sock directly, MySQL won't connect at all. I get all sorts of
> "Can't connect to database" errors in just about every program that uses
> MySQL.

It sounds to me as if you edited the client part of that file without
also changing the server part, or didn't restart the server.

I'm not sure exactly how to configure the MySQL server to use
a specific socket, but you might find it easier to solve your
problem by setting up the client poritions of /etc/mysql/my.cnf with
socket=/var/whatever-path-it-was, and thus defaulting all of your
clients to use the path for which the server is configured.

cjs