Re: [tlug] MySQL behaving strangely

TLUG,

Thanks for your advice and help. I tried various things suggested, and in the end, this is what seems to have worked (I've abbreviated most of the output):

$ sudo pkill -9 mysqld
$ sudo dpkg --force-all -r mysql-server-5.0

This removed MySQL, but left the configuration files. I went into /etc/mysql and edited both my.cnf and debian.cnf so that the socket = /tmp/mysql.sock

Then I reinstalled MySQL server:

$ sudo apt-get install mysql-server mysql-server-5.0

Seems to be running now.

Thanks everyone for helping me get things sorted out.

--
Dave M G