Re: '㏄' versus 'cc' and '㎍' versus 'µg' usage [tlug]

Godwin Stewart writes:
 > On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:40:23 -0400, jep200404 <jep200404@example.com>
 > wrote:
 >
 > > I don't think I was clear enough, so I'm rephrasing the question.
 > >
 > > How common is the use of the single character '㏄'
 > > instead of two 'c' characters for cubic centimeters,
 > > and how common is the use of the single character '㎍'
 > > instead of two characters, the 'µ' and the 'g' for
 > > micrograms

I don't recall having seen either.  I have seen kg and km in the wild
in Monkasho documents, the roman numerals (a related JIS-ism) are very
commonly used in Japan by people in my department with certain boxen
(I think it's Fujitsu FMV) and maybe by staff preparing agenda and
minutes, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the occasional "4-square"
character.

 > I was completely unaware that there were single-character entities for
 > those units.

I believe you can thank JIS for that; IIRC they're classed as
compatibility characters.