Re: [tlug] government getting ready to inspect your iPod, laptop without probable cause

On 2008-05-31 17:49 +0900 (Sat), Marty Pauley wrote:

> Check out the UK's Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (2000).
> They don't need to charge you with anything: not handing over your
> keys when asked is a criminal offence in itself!

Actually, if I recall correctly, in most cases it will be quite
acceptable merely to decrypt the items of interest, which is, while
perhaps annoyingly intrusive, a far cry from turning over your keys.

It's like the difference between being forced to drive someone
somewhere, and being forced to give them the keys to your car.

cjs