Re: [tlug] government getting ready to inspect your iPod, laptop without probable cause

2008/5/30 Jim Maricondo <jimbocho@example.com>:

> My apologies for being slightly off topic, but I think this issue concerns
> us all.

Not off-topic in the least, my friend. Scary as shite, though.

> This is a crazy new law being proposed which will give border guards and
> security personnel the right to inspect the contents of your laptop, iPod,
> cell phone for content that infringes on copyright laws (music and movies):
> http://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/ACTA_trade_agreement_negotiation_lacks_transparency
> Apparently they already have the right to look at anything on your laptop in
> the pretense of checking for child pornography. This looks more like a
> fishing trip. First look for something that most people will support, child
> porn or illegal music, then "discover" something else.

Indeed. Crypto is your only friend, and perhaps TrueCrypt or something
like it so you have plausible deniability. I doubt law enforcement can
force you to turn over your keys without charging you with something,
but I ain't going to test it.

I am seriously encrypting *everything* on my portable drives and
laptops now, not just sensitive stuff.

> The record industry is trying to make ripping CDs illegal, so they want to
> have DRM only downloads on an iPod. In other words if it is not digitally
> signed it is not legal.

Where is RMS when we need him? ;)

> Is the next step is the right to enter our homes and go through our disk
> drives, without a court order or probable cause. It's amazing that this type
> of thing is even being considered much less this close to becoming reality!

Er, if you are surprised by this, are you sure you understand how
"government" works in Japan (and for that matter, the US)?

:(

--
Cheers,
Josh