Re: [tlug] B Flets blocks port 25?

Most providers in Japan block 25 outbound on residential service
nowadays.  Best to use submission port (smtp-auth on port 587).

Yes. Yahoo BB blocks also port 25...

As does my ISP (So-Net). They don't block outbound SMTP to their relay host, though, so I just send my mail via that, instead.

Really, blocking outbound SMTP to everything but the ISP's SMTP host
only makes sense.

Usen doesn't seem to block 25. I have outbound mail on my home server setup to route directly to the destination and, according to my posfix log, that's what it's doing. I was also able to do "telnet isris.pair.com 25" (the server where my public web page is hosted) and it answered and ackowledged my HELO. I guess that's enough evidence to know that it's not blocked, right?

BTW, my Usen fiber service comes with 5 IPs (a block of 8 but one is used for the "gateway" -- not sure why every block of 8 needs its own gateway address but that's how they have it set-up). My landlord wouldn't give the OK for mansion-type service but they said I could have the glass pulled to the apartment through the phone conduits so that's what they did. Cool...

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.