Re: [tlug] B Flets blocks port 25?

On 2008-05-29 21:09 -0400 (Thu), Joe Larabell wrote:

> Usen doesn't seem to block 25.

Ah, correct. I'd forgotten that.

> BTW, my Usen fiber service comes with 5 IPs (a block of 8 but one is used
> for the "gateway" -- not sure why every block of 8 needs its own gateway
> address but that's how they have it set-up).

Because your block of eight is set up as a separate network, and without
a gateway, you'd have no way to send your packets to the rest of the
world.

The question you could ask, though, is, while you need a broadcast
address for your network (7, if you take your broadcast address modulo
8), and the router to the rest of the world will take an address (1, on
Usen), why do you need a network address (0)? Admittedly, some old stuff
will break when trying to communicate with it when attached to the local
network, but most things will work.

> My landlord wouldn't give the OK for mansion-type service but they
> said I could have the glass pulled to the apartment through the phone
> conduits so that's what they did. Cool...

Lucky you! I'd kill for this.

cjs