Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 06:38:55AM +0900, Josh wrote:
> 2008/5/21 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:
>
> > My Kyoto-bred
> > wife doesn't like power tools much, but a few hours of shopping at
> > Ikea is worth a week of good clean mindless fun for her.  And she's
> > never hesitated to ask *me* to try to fix the dirtier stuff like
> > plumbing and the kitchen fans (although her habit of calling me
> > "hakase" when she does is annoying!  Hi, Scott!  No, no kill files for
> > her!)
>
> Heh heh. Ask Scott for a funny story involving hakase and a certain
> TLUG member. :)

The lamp?  It wasn't Ikea, it was some cheap hardware store up the
street.
All I can say is, "God bless you Mr. Glover."

My best Ikea story is about something a several years ago.  The
instructions were only in Swedish, but---AHA!!  We just happened to have
a Swedish guy around.

Not that the instructions made much more sense when translated, but like
Josh, he was also handy.

Now *MY* wife doesn't say hakase---she puts a ten ten after the ha and
stops at ka.  :-(

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: I know what broke up him and Cordelia, you know. It was you!
And your lips!
Willow: No, it was not! Well, yes it was so, but... that was a
long time ago, do you think I'd do that again?
Anya: Why not?
Willow: Hello? Gay now!