Re: [tlug] Linux telnet client issue

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 08:38:38PM +0900, Shawn wrote:

> > Plain vanilla xterm, kterm or Konsole should work just fine.
>
> Logged in fine with GNOME Terminal 2.16.0 under CentOS5.

> but at the
>
> Welcome to the LEO online catalog!
>
>  SEARCH MENU
>
> Enter the number of the search you want.
>
> It stops responding.

I'm rushing off to work, so only a quick reply to all here.  Firstly,
thanks to all of you who are giving suggestions.

Shawn, I guess I wasn't clear--I blame it on it being so late at night.
The behavior you describe is what's happening--it will accept the log
in, but I can't navigate the menu.  (And yes, I know about the web one,
I find the telnet one much quicker. ) :)

Curt, I'll try to get a listing of the different environ variables
that it shows when I get home tonight.  However, for both the
FreeBSD and Linux/Solaris sessions, it showed the TERM as xterm.
I have tried exporting TERM to vt100, and also to console25,
FreeBSD's default console mode, without success.

Steve I've always used mlterm in FreeBSD if in X when I do it.  Thinking
that might be the issue, I did try with a plain vanilla xterm in CentOS
and Fedora.  In Solaris, I was using the live CD which defaults to a
Gnome desktop, so that was some variant of Gnome-terminal--I called it
from the graphic interface.

Many many thanks to all and I will get a list of the environ variables
tonight.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Buffy: What do you want?
Angel: The same thing you do.
Buffy: Okay. What do I want?
Angel: To kill 'em. To kill 'em all.
Buffy: Sorry, that's incorrect. But, you do get this watch and a
year's supply of turtle wax. What I want is to be left alone.