Re: [tlug] OT - Shutdown day

On 17/04/2008, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> > Plus the power savings stuff can be used to raise awareness of how
> > much energy can be saved by making computers more energy-efficient.
>
> If you are doing it to save electricity then your computer is probably
> not going to help that much.

But that is not what I said. I know that me turning off my computers
for a day will not matter a jot. But lots of people doing it might
make a small difference, per:

http://www.shutdownday.org/energy/

And this small difference is not going to save the planet, but the
above graphs might, if they succeed in showing people just how much
power computers use. If people see that, they may push their
manufacturers for greener PCs, and then we all win.

>  Unless you can convince Amazon to get involved and shutdown their
> datacenters for the day ;)

Yeah, I can see me presenting that one to Uncle Jeff. ;)

Then again, Amazon has a Just Do It award for initiatives that save
lots of money, which this would do...

>  If you are interested in energy awareness initiatives there is Earth
> Hour[1]

Looks neat; thanks for the link.

--
Cheers,