Re: OSS and getting money for it (was: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks)

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Edward Middleton writes:
 > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > > Edward Middleton writes:

 > Great IP and business plans are nothing without the right people to
 > make them happen.

The age-old excuse of incompetent managers: "I couldn't get enough
good people."  It's a myth, though.

Well in defense of *incompetent managers*, it is a lot more straightforward then "I can't get the unskilled workers HR procured for me to produce pins of an acceptable quality given the time constraints and production schedule".

Robert Townsend defined leadership as (something like) "Indefinable,
but you can recognize a leader because his or her people consistently
turn in exceptional performances."

As for leaders, indefinable it is. Though I love a quote that starts with, this is "indefinable", and then purports to define it. Need it be said, not all leaders "people consistently turn in exceptional performances." Part of being a leader is taking risk and doing things that haven't been done before.

We are however talking in parallels because from your other posts you are clearly not just referring to IP as the source code and the associated rights to use. This is the IP I am talking about open source companies giving away. Yes giving away everything for nothing isn't a business model. Even companies that proclaim to be doing this are in fact using it as a means to generate something of value.

Edward