Re: [tlug] Gnome vs. KDE? BSD vs. Linux?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 20/03/2008, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>
>  >  (Although I think Gentoo has lots of binaries now, but
>  >  I don't know if their system update still requires lots of compiling.
>  >  Josh or other Gentoo-ers, if you see this, could you confirm or correct
>  >  me?)
>
>  There are binary packages for things like KDE, GNOME, OpenOffice.org,
>  Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.
>
>  Gentoo still requires lots of compiling, but distcc can really easy
>  your pain on an older 'top.

not much of a fan of gentoo personally - if I would go for Linux, I
think I'll use Ubuntu. I have some experiences with that distribution
and I know that the ppl around me are all using it on their desktops

>  I'd say the most BSD-like Linux distro is either Arch or Slack. Maybe
>  Godwin can comment.

Actually I'm more interested what the differences for the end-user are
between Linux and BSD, not what the most BSD-like distribution is. I
know that BSD is nice on servers with stuff like jails and ZFS is
quite cool but those are not really things I care for on a laptop.

Niels