Re: [tlug] Gnome vs. KDE? BSD vs. Linux?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:06:43PM +0900, Wayne wrote:
>  >
>  > On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 14:23 +0100, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>  > > Hi!
>  > >
>  > > It seems that I get soon my hands on a laptop which won't be able to
>  > > run my favorite mixture of BSD and Mach.
>  > > And therefore I wanted to ask some absolute elemental questions:
>  > > Can someone sum up the most important differences between Gnome and KDE?
>  > > And what about the (did)advantages of the BSD-derivates compared to
>  > > Linux on an old PIII-laptop?
>  > >
>  > > Niels
>  > >
>  >
>  > Old machine? Low on memory? I'd be looking at something lighter, like
>  > XFce as a desktop...
>
>  I'd agree with Wayne here.  Both Gnome and KDE are more resource
>  intensive.  Also, depending which Linux you use, you might find it quite
>  bloated compared to the BSDs.

Well, I'm not much of a fan of XFce and iirc it breaks the theming of
qt-apps even more than gnome - or is this just a matter of gtk and qt
and there shouldn't be a difference in this point (I'm quite optical
and I do not really like it when the theming is broken and buttons and
stuff does not look right).
I wanted to try first how usable Gnome or KDE is before I use XFce.
But with those too, I would be interested if there are any perceptible
differences for the end-user. I know that KDE shows me all options
while Gnome hides a lot of stuff for trying to be user-friendly. But
is there anything else?

Niels