[tlug] CBC Search Engine interview on Japan internet regulation

TLUG

I'm on CBC's show "Search Engine", speaking about internet regulations
in Japan.

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/searchengine_20080117_4457.mp3

Two comments:
The woman who was speaking before me - I really hate the way she talks
about Japan. Frankly, the way she describes internet and Japanese
culture seems a little out of touch with the reality here (she's in San
Francisco), but mainly I hate how it's so judgmental. She calls internet
culture in Japan "immature", "adolescent", and "unintelligent". Blah.

I was edited a little to support some stereotypes that I don't really
buy into. I said a fair amount of stuff about how I think a lot of
stereotypes about Japanese being non-confrontational are convenient
beliefs for a lot of people, and not necessarily true. But on the other
hand, I agreed that there were some seeds of truth in the stereotypes.
The way I was edited, only the "other hand" came through.

But, I'm not unhappy with how it came out. The basic idea - that the
intended government proposals are bad, got through, and I guess that's
enough for the length and depth of what they were reporting.

-- Dave M G http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G