Re: [tlug] Fair use effects on the economy

On 9/13/07, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo@example.com> wrote:
> After the discussions about far use on TLUG, it is interesting to me
> to see that there is a first-ever report on the effects of fair use
> laws in the US:
> http://www.ccianet.org/artmanager/publish/news/First-Ever_Economic_Study_Calculates_Dollar_Value_of.shtml

That's quite interesting - especially the last two paragraphs:

     "'As the United States economy becomes increasingly
knowledge-based, the concept of fair use can no longer be discussed
and legislated in the abstract.  It is the very foundation of the
digital age and a cornerstone of our economy', said Ed Black,
President and CEO of CCIA.  'Much of the unprecedented economic growth
of the past ten years can actually be credited to the doctrine of fair
use, as the Internet itself depends on the ability to use content in a
limited and nonlicensed manner.  To stay on the edge of innovation and
productivity, we must keep fair use as one of the cornerstones for
creativity, innovation and, as today's study indicates, an engine for
growth for our country.'
     The Fair Use exception to U.S. copyright law, as codified in
Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976 states, 'The fair use of
a copyrighted work is not an infringement of copyright.'  Fair use
permits a range of activities that are critical to many high
technology businesses such as search engines and software developmers.
 As the study indicates, however, fair use and related exceptions to
copyright are crucial to non-technology industries as well, such as
insurance, legal services, and newspaper publishers.  The dependence
of industries outside the high-tech field illustrates the crucial need
for balanced copyright law."

Lyle