Re: [tlug] Fair use effects on the economy

It's interesting article.

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
After the discussions about far use on TLUG, it is interesting to me
to see that there is a first-ever report on the effects of fair use
laws in the US:
http://www.ccianet.org/artmanager/publish/news/First-Ever_Economic_Study_Calculates_Dollar_Value_of.shtml

I can say that Japanese copyright law is more restrictive and it's preventing many opportunities in Japan to create a YouTube type services or implementing search engine type services.

When I was trying to develp some search engines, there were always a discussion like why we can cache the contents and it would be illegal in Japan.

And when I was discussing about the hard disk recording server, there is always discussion that it's illegal if we serve it to another person. In fact, some of the trial resulted that one video server service was illegal since the server was made by a shop, and similar service which uses Sony "Location Free" server was determined legal.

http://www.6ga.net/diffmanekitv.php (Japanese page).

And Japanese copyright law is more restrictive at uploading a copyrighted contents to somewhere. I believe US lobbiests made more successes in Japan, since I have read some articles before these copyright law was changed in early 90s, which was filled by interview of a person from US who was trying to convince to change the law in US and Japan.

However, YouTube is famous with illegal contents in Japan now. And many of the users are using YouTube and NikoNiko-Douga services.

I hope the "fair use" can be used more commonly in Japan. There was an interesting (Japanese) article like this:

http://hotwired.goo.ne.jp/bitliteracy/shirata/040525/

We should be careful that history of copyright law is based on the UK-US common law systems, and it is little bit different from European or Japanese "written law" systems. Once it has been past in Parliament, it is more restricted in Japan, unfortunately.

I really hate Japanese copyright law and lobbiests around it.
--
== Money is one of the minimum conditions to do anything, but... =======
  Shin MICHIMUKO <smitimko@example.com> http://www.peanuts.gr.jp/