Re: [tlug] IBM joins the OpenOffice.org Community

Nguyen Vu Hung writes:

 > AFAIK, IBM has stated that it owned more than 500 "Linux patent",
 > include RCU[1]. If suddenly IBM supporting it,

*sigh*

It's not sudden.  IBM earns more money from IP licensing than anybody
but Toyota does from their whole business[1], but a couple years ago
they opened up a large selection of their software patent portfolio to
use in open source.  And as several people have pointed out IBM has
made big contributions to FLOSS.  Not just to Linux, but the IBM
Classes for Unicode (now "International Classes for Unicode") and
Eclipse.

It's not just IBM, either.  Larry Ellison and beep-beep[2] have also
declared their opposition to (the current regime of) software patents
(despite beep-beep's control of one of the most vilified patents).

What's going on here?  Well, they've decided that "owning" software
isn't a great way to make money.  Oracle isn't a database company any
more; they're a business consultant with a big advantage in database
based applications.  beep-beep knows very well that A*HONK*n isn't
really about software, although it's very useful to have a leg up on
your competition there.  And IBM has never been a software company,
although they've always been as successful at it as say Sun.[3]

So, no, there's not much magnanimity to be found here.  And yes,
kneecapping MSFT is definitely one of the big attractions to
supporting FLOSS.  But magnanimity is not necessary, and fear of
Redmond is not all there is to it.  I don't see any real point in
being suspicious of IBM having some ulterior motive here.  (Of course
you can't trust the PR/marketing communications guys to tell the whole
story.)

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, Mr. Barry, I am exaggerating.  But the numbers are big.

[2]  Josh, Keith, and Mauro's top boss.

[3]  Oh, you noticed I didn't actually answer the question?  Well, do
I look rich?  If I knew I'd be rich, ya know.