Re: [tlug] Total operational cost... hard stats anywhere?

Lyle H Saxon wrote:
On 8/19/07, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
One of the things that many people wrote in about was the "total
operational cost" argument, which I'm sure many of you have heard
before. For those just tuning in, it's the claim that even though Linux
is free in terms of money, the learning curve associated with
transitioning takes so much time as to wipe out the benefits of the
savings.

I've heard stories of companies making starting the transition, but not really much about how it went.

I've heard stories of several big cities that have made the transition and haven't really seen much about success/failure. Also, one of the big auto manufacturers is supposed to have done this.

Look at http://www.google.com/search?q=munich+linux for instance. It looks like it did happen/is happening, but I don't see any obvious summary of their experience.

Several of the big film companies use Linux extensively. Pixar for instance... It's a specialized case of course, but they have a large set of 'rendering farms' used for rendering films frame by frame at very high resolution. Last I heard they were using SuSE on some kind of a blade server. When people go home for the evening, their desk top machines are added to the farm for the evening. When I first moved here, they were all mac and windows and SGI I think.

Is there any way to sort the output of google based on the dates of the pages??

Steve S.