[tlug] Total operational cost... hard stats anywhere?

TLUG,

Okay, well, I'm well into writing a follow up article to the "Windows Is Free" article.

One of the things that many people wrote in about was the "total operational cost" argument, which I'm sure many of you have heard before. For those just tuning in, it's the claim that even though Linux is free in terms of money, the learning curve associated with transitioning takes so much time as to wipe out the benefits of the savings.

I have a prepared counter-argument of how piracy makes that argument irrelevant, but, along the way I was also thinking of making the claim that there is almost no objective data to support this claim anyway. I looked on the net and found all sorts of definitions of the term "total operational cost", and lots anecdotal claims, but no supporting research. One guy who emailed in claimed that switching to Linux would take "hundreds of hours" of adjustment time, which is clearly a number he just pulled out of his ass.

I can definitely claim that most people who offer this argument have never really proved it to themselves or others. But that's different from claiming that there is no proof at all.

Does anyone know of any kind of hard statistical research or data that demonstrates any comparative metric for measuring "total operational cost" for operating systems?

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G