Re: [tlug] Suggestions for splitting of mails?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Gernot Hassenpflug writes:
>
>  > I am wondering what is the best way for a ML subscriber to handle
>  > this?
>
> "Best" is for you to decide.  However, a good MUA should provide the
> option to kill whole threads and/or subjects.  Doesn't GMail?

I use Gmail, but port my messages to Thunderbird because:

1.  It acts just like Thunderbird does in Windows and it's one less
thing for me to re-learn, and;

2.  It has very powerful sorting and threading options -- which can be
permanent or temporary ("Ignore Thread" is a one-click function) -- at
the end of a very short and shallow learning curve, and;

3.  It can be set up to fetch mail every "X" minutes so you don't have
to log in or remain logged in to your Gmail account.

The downside is, of course, that you don't receive copies of your own
posts back.

> >  I wonder if it might be possible to split the ML more? I am thinking
> >  along the lines of an analogue to web forums, where sub-forums for
> >  various off-topic, ah, topics, go, and one can have sub-forums for
> >  flaming, trashing other OSes, political views, and so on.
> >
>  We've tried that at least twice, it doesn't work very well.
>  Basically, every time we've had an advocacy list, people like me turn
>  well-behaved on the main list, the advocacy list dies of inattention,
>  and things go back to (ab)normal on the main list after a while.

I know I'm the newbie here, but my first impression is "Why do we need
two?"  The traffic I have seen so far doesn't seem to illustrate the
need, but, I don't have any dogs in this race and don't intend to enter
any.

--
CL