Re: [tlug] Suggestions for splitting of mails?

On Aug 6, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Gernot Hassenpflug writes:

I am wondering what is the best way for a ML subscriber to handle
this?

"Best" is for you to decide. However, a good MUA should provide the option to kill whole threads and/or subjects. Doesn't GMail?

It does - just mute the thread with "m" (only possible afaik if you have shortcuts enabled)

I wonder if it might be possible to split the ML more? I am thinking
along the lines of an analogue to web forums, where sub-forums for
various off-topic, ah, topics, go, and one can have sub-forums for
flaming, trashing other OSes, political views, and so on.

We've tried that at least twice, it doesn't work very well. Basically, every time we've had an advocacy list, people like me turn well-behaved on the main list, the advocacy list dies of inattention, and things go back to (ab)normal on the main list after a while.

<snip>

Actually mails could just be (beware buzz-word ahead) tagged like [OT] -- but I've seen this rarely work in mailing lists.

Just my two cents (or the right amount of money you throw into a discussion to express one's opinion ;) )

Niels