Re: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] Correct particle to use

On 13/06/07, Bart Mathias <mathias@example.com> wrote:

I used to be a professor of Japanese language, until I retired in 1999.
What that status tells me is that you really need a *Japanese* professor
of Japanese to do the question justice.

Or maybe a Japanese linguist.

I certainly never taught anyone to say, e.g., ææèãæãèããã, but
I don't think it's at all anymore unheard of than the three native
speakers someone in this thread queried suggested. It's probably felt to
be something on the order treating æãèã as a compound verb and
potentializing it ãããã. "Hon'o yom..." runs trippingly off the tongue.

That is an interesting theory.

Language *does* change, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. ;)

As someone with an interest in linguistics, I am very aware of the
difference between prescription and description, and I agree
scientifically that the latter is more correct.

But I just cannot accept it in my heart; I'm a grammar Nazi in both
English and Japanese. :(

The scariest thing is ãããã. I got 333,000 googits for that just now,
and some of the first ten turn out to be coincidence (the noun before
the ã is the object of a later verb), but the first one is quite
suggestive:

ãããããääããããããåãããããããããããããèããããããã
ããéääéçãããåããããããåæãããããããããçããããããã
ããããçæç ...